Distinctly different muffins


Did you know that carrots were originally purple? I remember hearing this piece of information years ago and I also remember wondering why they would ever change such a beautifully coloured vegetable. Later, when living in Holland I learnt more about the Dutch, their love of orange and the making of the orange carrot.
***
After spotting these dark-purple-almost-black heirloom carrots at the store I just had to try and see what they tasted like. Besides their gorgeous indigo colour, the shape was like any other common carrot. The taste, however, was somewhat different.
These purplish carrots had a more bitter flavour than their sweeter orange cousins. Their stronger taste matched their crunchy texture well; their 'feel' resembles that of other root vegetables like parsnips. Purple carrots are thought to have many nutritional qualities and their bitterness might account for this ‘health’ factor. 
I decided to make muffins with my carrots and they turned out distinctly different than my usual recipe for muffins (click here and here for more muffins). They were tasty and their beautiful, almost beetroot-like colour, added a colourful touch to a regular carrot muffin. The recipe is simple: I used two types of flour – millet and plain – added yoghurt for moisture, coconut for flavour and finally added dried blackcurrants for sweetness and colour.


purple carrot muffins with coconut and blackcurrants
makes a dozen
*use organic where possible

1 1/2 cups flour (half millet, half plain)
1/2 cup coconut
2 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1/3 cup raw sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup oil (non fragrant oil like canola, rice bran etc)
2 medium purple carrots, grated
1/3 cup dried blackcurrants

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius

In a medium bowl, sift in flours, add coconut, baking powder, salt and sugar – stir to combine. In a separate bowl add wet ingredients. Add in eggs, yoghurt, vanilla, oil and combine well. Add wet ingredients into dry and mix well but be careful not to overwork as it will toughen the texture of the muffins. Add in grated carrots and currants. Mixture should be thick but not too dry. Place into muffin pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Take out and let rest. I keep my muffins in the fridge – perfect for a morning or afternoon snack. Enjoy!





8 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe! The carrots definitely make for a beautiful muffin add-in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I think I heard that somewhere before and promptly forgot about it. These are STUNNING! What a creative and gorgeous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. curious to try these and saving the recipe ( http://cookmarked.com ) think i might sub applesauce for yogurt! going to keep my eyes peeled for these purple guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I didn't know there were purple carrots. How awesome. Makes such an interesting looking muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words everyone. Best of luck on your baking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use the gorgeous carrots I find at the green market!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of purple carrots, but seeing how good your recipe looks I'd really like to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew carrots were originally purple! I recently found your blog and have been reading through your archives and waiting for your new posts - your photography's really inspirational - makes me wanna whip out my camera and take better photographs!

    ReplyDelete