Brownies please


Like the rest of those foodies out there I love everything about food – searching through stores and markets for the best produce, talking about food, eating it and of course cooking and baking. When I’m in my kitchen with the ingredients I love I’m a happy person; conceptualizing a dish from start to finish and then working to create it is not only stress-relieving but also a wonderful creative outlet.

This morning I woke up with a sore throat and a headache – boo. The one thing I wanted to do was bake something to make me feel better. I couldn’t think of anything better than cheesecake brownies - indulgent and rich. I looked through a few recipes but the one that won me over was from the master-of-all-that-is-sweet David Lebovitz.
I altered the recipe a little and I’m not sure if this was the reason I ended up with a less marbled and therefore less beautiful brownie - or it could've been my feeling a little under the weather. But regardless of looks the taste was wonderful - dark chocolate smoothness combined with velvety, creamy cheese goodness! This is a serious brownie and the recipe is definitely a keeper. Note: I used gluten-free flour to ensure proper brownie squidgy-ness. Enjoy.


cheesecake brownies
adapted from David Lebovitz's recipe
makes 16 pieces
* I used organic where possible


main brownie mix
3 tbsp (40g) butter
3 tbsp (40g) coconut oil
115g dark chocolate (I used 85%)
2/3 (130g) cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup gluten-free flour
1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (80g) dark chocolate broken into small pieces – or chocolate chips

cream cheese mix
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 egg yolk
5 tbsp (75g) brown sugar
drop of vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
Prepare a 23cm square pan with foil – line and lightly grease.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter, oil and chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in sugar then mix in eggs. Next add flour, cocoa powder and salt – then vanilla extract and chocolate pieces. Spread into prepared pan and even out.
To make cream cheese mix – beat cream cheese, vanilla extract, sugar and egg yolk together until smooth.

Add cream cheese mix in dollops across chocolate batter and using a small spatula or knife make swirl patterns with cream cheese to create marble effect. Place into oven and bake 30-40 minutes or until batter is set.  Take out and cool before slicing. Place into fridge and enjoy cold.

22 comments:

  1. I've made the same brownies from David Lebovitz! Mmm, they look lovely! Like your adaptations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less marbled they may be, but they still look really good to me - I could go a few slices of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Combining my 2 favourite desserts Cheesecake and Brownies...makes me very happy! These just look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should definitely try this! It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these look gorgeous. Dark chocolate and cheesecake is always sexy in my books! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look super pretty to me! The use of coconut oil and butter is very interesting. I love coconut oil in baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked with coconut oil before. Would using copha be similar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baking is such a joy and relief for me too..
    the smell alone is mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet coincidence! Only last week I made David Lebovitz's cheesecake brownies. They tasted sinful. SO dark, rich and decadent. It is a killer recipe.

    Yours look beautiful :-) Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww I hope you're feeling better soon! These brownies sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks fabulous first time here hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been on such a brownie kick lately and these look amazing! I love combining brownies with different flavors. Hope you feel better soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheesecake? Brownies? Together? Yes please!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who bakes something when she's feeling sick... hope these brownies were just the pick-me-up you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I realized that after cookies, brownie recipes have the most posts on my blog. I was starting to feel a little self conscience about this until I saw this lovely post. Whew! I'm not alone with my love of brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think these brownies are quite beautiful! Sweet and rich and I imagine so satisfying! I hope they helped your head and throat and that you are feeling better! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. You baked when you didn't feel well! Wow, that's more energy than I when my throat is sore and I have a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound so wonderful. I love that they're gluten-free and use really dark chocolate. That just takes it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the well wishes friends - the brownies helped : )

    As for the questions:
    Charlie - I wasn't sure what copha was and after googling it I found out - I think it should be a fine substitute if you can't get regular coconut oil (from health food stores).

    Glad to see so many people love brownies - will be on the search for more interesting ideas...happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know- food is so stress relieving!! I love cheesecake brownies! :D And yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. *Drool*
    Oh they're perfect. Absolutely perfect. Definitely putting it on my list of rainy day treats to make!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aren't brownies wonderful? I just made a batch of my favorite brownies too. I hope they helped you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this sound so good .. looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete