Z is for zucchini


I was given a few zucchinis the other day and wondered what I could make with this beautifully fresh and green vegetable. I love the taste and texture of raw sliced zucchini in my salads or alternatively in stick form with a delicious dip of hummus. I don’t really love the cooked version – sorry ratatouille lovers (I did love the film though!)

To say I don’t like a vegetable cooked a certain way sounds crazy to me since I love, love all veggies but I guess I just have a strong preference for uncooked zucchini. That said, there is one particular way I do enjoy eating this cooked squash and that’s in any baked good.
Something wonderful happens to shredded pieces of zucchini when cooked with spices, oil, eggs, flour, sugar and nuts; it’s true that simple ingredients can make the best things. Try using your zucchini to make zucchini nut bread.  This cake-like bread is slightly sweet, moist and crunchy – it’s even healthy! Enjoy your piece of bread with a little jam in the morning or just whenever you need to eat your veggies…
zucchini nut bread

makes 9 generous pieces

2 eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup canola oil (any non-fragrant oil)
1/2  cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of nutmeg (just a little goes a long way)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup (and 2 tbsp) wholemeal self-raising flour
1 1/4 cups grated zucchini (about 2 smallish zucchini)
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped

Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
Prepare a 20 cm square pan – lightly grease with oil and line with baking paper
In a mixing bowl, add eggs, salt, oils and sugar – stir until ingredients are well incorporated (but make sure not to over-mix). Mix in vanilla, spices and flour – stir until combined. Lastly stir in grated zucchini and 3/4 of the nuts and place batter into pan. Top with the rest of the chopped nuts and bake 25-30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.




15 comments:

  1. This definitely looks delicious and healthy. Great combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fabulous, b! the coconut oil is a brilliant addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, zucchini! I would like to have a bite from this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the look of this - I can almost imagine how moist and delicious it must be. I love breads like this that can be eaten sweet or savoury - I bet this would be good either with jam or with some ricotta cheese. Can't wait to try it! I love your blog, by the way, your photos are beautiful and your recipes are really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't feel quite as strongly about it as you do but I discovered recently that I MUCH prefer raw to cooked zucchini. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! Zucchini is not very common in India but I can totally imagine it being wonderful in bakes!
    New to your blog and just wanted to say how much I ADORE your photos!! LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and wonderful photos! I just made Vegan Zucchini bread last week! Isn't it just a great treat for the summer! I love how the flavors marry so well with nutty crunch! Great recipe and a beautiful blog might I add!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic, what a great recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love zucchini in anyway. Bread/muffins are a favorite choice in this house! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhh....wonderful!I was looking for a recipe like this. I knew about a zucchini cake but all the repices I had were not interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this. And for the magnificent pictures. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your zucchini nut bread looks fantastic and I especially love the addition of pistachios. That is a must try for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore zucchini in any form and this bread most especially...very gorgeous and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake looks way too good! Love all the nuts you used & my fav spice- nutmeg.Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE baking with zucchini! what a beautiful blog you have - so glad to have come across it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I love your recipes. This zucchini bread looks amazing!
    This post would be a great link up to Project Lunch Box that I am hosting http://su.pr/221xT1

    ReplyDelete